Local Landcare Coordinator Initiative Overview
In 2015 at the NSW Landcare and Local Land Services Conference in Orange, Local Land Services and Landcare NSW signed a Memorandum of Understanding to formalise the working relationship between the two organisations. The partnership statement of the MOU is:
"Landcare NSW and Local Land Services as a government and community partnership are stronger together in achieving outcomes for communities and landscapes"
The LLCI reflects this partnership sentiment. It has been designed to put resources back into Landcare where it has been called for - it will put landcare in NSW on a more sustainable footing, with the majority of the funds going to community-based local coordinator positions.
The 2015-2019 LLCI is significant in both its commitment of funds and also in its joint management approach. It will be collaboratively managed by Landcare NSW and the NSW Government, through Local Land Services.
The LLCI is structured to deliver three primary components:
- Local Coordinators; working with networks to build capacity and foster great action
- Community of Practice; a mentoring, support and networking program to help land carers share, communicate and learn from each other
- Sustaining Landcare; a program to build a sustainable financial footing for Landcare into the future.
It is a new commitment to support regional Landcare Networks and local groups and will not be allocated for on-ground works.
The initiative has seen a number of great achievements to date, including:
- The equivalent of 30 full time positions being rolled out across the state in the form of over 70 part time coordinators employed
- A suite of state wide and regional networking events to support the Community of Practice
- The initiation of a state wide Landcare insurance program.
Leadership of the program at a state level is shared between the NSW State Landcare Coordinator (Landcare NSW) and the NSW Landcare Program Manager (Local Land Services). Working together, these roles are linking their organisations and building on the capacity of each.
For more details on the LLCI please contact:
- State Landcare Coordinator, Sonia Williams, 0411 113 590
- Manager Landcare Program, Chris McCulloch, 0427 061 164
- General enquires, 02 5853 1240
LLCI Program Plans:
(These factsheets where released in 2015 and are currently under review)
Fact Sheet 1 The Local Landcare Coordinator Initiative